Question
Posted by: Vegan | 2010/06/23

ADD child with sleeping problems &  bullying

My 7 year old son has ADD &  has been sleeping very badly recently. I have made no significant changes to his diet or routine, only those recommended by the school nutritionist last year January as he has several hereditory allergies. He has also been misbehaving at school lately, having shouting matches with his teachers &  bullying other kids.

A friend of mine suggested I try melatonin. Will this be beneficial? The omegas are also not really aiding his concentration (he''s been taking them for the last 2 years). He is also constantly agitated &  depressed. The fact that he''''s not sleeping may be adding to his ADD.

Since the holidays started, he''s been sleeping a lot better. I also suspect that he''s been bullied at school by a bigger boy of the same age (he''s quite small for his age), but he''s not the kind of child that will sit back &  take it. He has been retaliating against the bully, but it has landed him in hot water with the school''s disiplinary code. Whenever he had a confrontation with this boy, it''s like it spoiled his mood for the rest of his day &  he behaves badly. It even got him isolated from the class, getting lessons apart from the other children &  not even being allowed to play outside during break times. It greatly frustrates him as he is a people person &  he likes being around other children. I just don''t feel that the school is handling this situation correctly. As far as I know the bully''s parents have not been informed of his tenancies.

Please help, I''''m at my wits end!

If ADD i suspected, it should be assessed and diagnosed properly by a proper specialist - a child psychiatrist, child psychologist, or just possibly a paediatrician with special experience in this field. Similarly, all potentially useful interventions and treatments should be discussed with that specialist. No school teacher or school nutritionist is properly qualified to eitther make that diagnosis or to recommend treatment.
Malatonin is not recognized as an effective treatment in such situations. If he has become worse bhaved while on omegas, clearly they're not being very effective with him.
The school MUST deal properly with ALL complaints of bullying. But otherwise, have your son properly assessed by the appropriate specialists, and discuss all treatment options.

5

Also, have you tried contacting the ADHD Support Group of South Africa - they usually have good advice and can offer you support. Go to adhdsupport.co.za.

Are you giving him enough Omega 3 fatty acids? A child with ADHD needs at least 3 - 4000mg daily! It can also be really helpful to give him B vitamins, which help to support the nervous system. Try Brewer''s YEast in the mornings. Melatonin isn''t tested for safety in children, but why don''t you try a homeopathic sleeping remedy - try your health shop? Rescue Remedy might also help him with his moods, especially if he is feeling very upset.

Posted by: Dan | 2010/06/23

Use no dairy products, no wheat products. Fesh meat &  veggies for only three days is enough time to prove itself as the solution.

Reply to Dan
Posted by: Eric | 2010/06/23

A lot of kids are misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD when they actually have Aspergers Syndrome - make sure you consider this as well

Reply to Eric