Posted by: Kay | 2009-03-18

ADD and ritalin

Hi, My 7 year old son (a notorious dreamer, distracted easily and doesn' t finish tasks in school although exceptionally clever) has just been given Ritalin. I have heard so many negative stories about his drug and am feeling very very worried. It has taken me 6 months to eventually allow the doctor to give this to him - please can you tell me if i' ve done the wrong thing and if the bad rap about it is all true...

Ritalin when used properly, and prescribed and monitored by a competent specialist after a competent diagnois, is probably a useful intervention to try. As long as his ADHD was diagnosed by a proper child psychiatrist / child psychologist or paediatrician, who has recommended this or similar drugs and will monitor the effects, you wil have done the right thing. As Maria says, it's worth also trying some dietary variations, and perhaps Omegas such as HiQ, bu discus this with the child shrink / paediatrician.

Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-18

Kay for some kids Ritalin is the answer and it makes an amazing difference to their lives. However before you start using Ritalin I believe you should check for food allergies (remove all artifical colourants and flavouring from their diet), have eyes and ears tested and try supplements like Omega 3& 6. An assessment by a child psychologist is also helpful if you can afford it. If none of that proves to be the problem, then you don' t have to doubt the need for Ritalin.

Reply to Maria