Question
Posted by: ami | 2010/01/15

ADD / ADHD

Is there a distinct difference between ADHD and ADD? I have done a fair amount of reading on the internet on this topic and am just about convinced (in my humble and non-professional opinion) that I fit the ADD description pretty darn well. My behaviour is uncanny and affects my emotional and day-to-day living in a serious way.
People (more specifically conversation) bore me to death. I struggle to follow verbal instruction. In all its irony, I love to write, and hate to read - as I too struggle to follow or absorb anything beyond the first few sentences! Daydreaming makes up 90% of my day - to the point that it takes me about 2 hours to fall asleep at night! I forget, regularly, appointments and commitments. I am the procrastination Queen. I haven' t had a proper job for more than 3 months EVER. I have had many relationships, none of which have lasted more than a few weeks. I am almost 26 - Even though I put in minimal effort at school, I managed to do relatively well - and not to mention - at everything I did - which was a lot! If it weren' t for my good friends, I would have forgotten half my assignments and exams while studying. Now I no longer have that ' support' , my life regularly falls into a mush of un-done chores. (My entire wardrobe is currently spewed out over the kitchen table, stairs and bedroom floor..., there stands two weeks worth of dirty dishes in the sink...) I have become involved in( and no longer am involved in) so many ventures and ' career-paths'  that are so varied, that sometimes I think my life purpose is to learn how to do EVERYTHING in the world and to do them at least once. I am now completely unemployed and am terrified of starting a new job anywhere because the past results speak loads.
I' m known as rather quiet and non-confrontational, and for my slightly unstable emotional side - a side though that no one ever sees directly, only its aftermath. And also my humour and child-like approach to creativity. I' m certainly NOT hyperactive except when I get excited about an activity - but it is usually very short lived. My job status is a serious problem (among all the other above-mentioned things) and I really don' t know how to get around this. If I had the choice I would not be living on earth.
Is this typical of ADD in your opinion? I' ve noted that ' symptoms'  must have been present as a child - which might suggest otherwise of me as I was ' apparently'  very level-headed and an achiever. Is it possible for a child to mask and curb/hide symptoms for whatever reason? What does one do in such a situation? Thanks

There's actually quite a bit of confused labelling in this area, and its best to stick to widely internationally recognized criteria where possible - though Adult ADHD is being increasingly recognized, I haven't seen an agreed set of criteria for the diagnosis, though this may be remedied in the coming years.
Only a diagnosis made by a properly qualified professional psychologist or psychiatrist would be worth relying on.
You describe a number of fruitless habits, assumptions and problems in living, which could respond well to treatment with CBT, but don't necessarily add up to a diagnosis of ADD ( nor need they, to deserve proper attention ). A proper expert assessment by a psychologist could clarify the issue, and lead to appropriate treatment, probably psychological in character

3
Posted by: ami | 2010/01/15

Thank you CS and Woman.
I tend to agree with you CS. Until recently I alway did think of my behaviour as some terrible habits. And perhaps I' m getting carried away. I tend to keep my distance from the ' professionals'  for fear that I get ' diagnosed'  and fed a miriad of drugs that perhaps I don' t need. In short I trust very few people when it comes to my psyche.
I think I' m going to confront the issue as breaking bad habits - whether it means consulting a psychologist or just researching ' habit-breaking' . It sounds good to me.
Woman, your story is motivating and I' m pleased to hear your hubby and friend' s daughter have found relief in their ways. Right now I' m going to attempt a different route.

Reply to ami
Posted by: Woman | 2010/01/15

My husband has been diagnosed with adult ADHD. You seem to fit that one pretty well too.I can fit everything you describe to his behavious when he wasn' t on medication. Do yourself a favour, go see a psychiatrist, give the medication a six month chance. If your life hasn' t changed drastically by then, by all means, explore other options. Make sure you find a psychiatrist with special interest in ADHD, please do go to them.

My hubby has become such a high achiever now that he can concentrate all day, to him, it has been worth it 10 times over.

In my opinion, people with ADD/ADHD are above average smart and once they go on medication, make such drastic positive changes in their lives, that they truly become high achievers in the shortest possible time. A friend, whose daughter was diagnosed last year after nearly failing grade 11 recently received her matric results - B average with a distinction in maths!

Reply to Woman