Question
Posted by: DJV | 2008/08/28

Adapting to Food Change

I have a two month old labrador. We did a gradual change from Pedigree to Vets Choice. Stools vary between very runny and firm. Is this part of the change over process?

Dear DJV

Yes. Worming also important and supplement the food with protexin for 6 weeks. This will help a lot.

3
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/28

CJW - the formula changed? Not according to Royal Canin...

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

There' s a difference between a loose or soft stool, and diarrhoea. If the pup isn' t uncomfortable, and if the bowel movements are regular, then I don' t think I' d worry too much.

But if the pup strains, has to ' go'  often without producing anything, or the stools are watery or totally liquid, then I' d be looking at changing the diet again.

Do you give the pup milk? That sometimes causes upsets, too - if so, see what happens if you cut that out.

I do trust you' re using the ' large breed puppy'  variety of the dogfood too?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CJW | 2008/08/28

I changed from pedigree to vets choice a few years ago and did not find any problems with my dogs stool. In fact if any thing it should improve. It could be that your dog is allergic to the food. The vets choice formula did change recently and my dog did not want to eat the food any more. I changed o royal canin and had no problems so far...

Reply to CJW