Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2010/02/09

AD' s again

Hi CS, Long time no talk. Hope you and kitty-cat are well. I am on a range of AD' s at the moment. Rivitrol, Serlife, Lamicton and then BP stuff and Eltroxin. I take these things for Major depression. I have been fairly stable but with huge dips now and then. The problem is that I am worried about how healthy on the body these meds are. I have asked my psychiatrist to reduce meds, but as soon as she makes the smallest change every thing goes haywire. Do people ever manage to go off their ADs or should I just accept that I should be taking them for the rest of my life? Thanks in advance. Lv Hope*

Kitty has just gone of heat, a great relief to both of us, and is now being very apologetic !
Sounds like a currently popular combination of meds. With boring old ordinary Depression, people do indeed sometimes go off their meds ( ADs that is ) and remain well. The more episodes they have had, the more likely there are to be others.
With Bipolar Disorder, further episodes are very likely, and it seems safest to remain on whatever combination works. NO large sinister problems have been associated with long-term use ; whereas there is a very significant morbidity and even mortality associated with having untreated Bipolar Disorder.

1