Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2008/07/08

AD's

Hello CS. Can AD's affect ones Thyroid? I have had hypothyroidism for about two years now with a growth/nodule. I take eltroxin but was advised by psychiatrist to have thyroid tested again.
Hope*

There is indeed some evidence that some of the SSRI's like Zoloft , Paxil and Prozac can reuce the effectiveness of thyroid tabs and you would need to discuss this possibility with your doctor. Also, a low thyroid state can both mimic Depression or worsen depression, and reduce the effectiveness of antidepressants unless it it also treated.