Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2010-05-14

Ad meds...weaning

Dear CS

I had PND with my first son, late to diagnose and ended up with major depression plus burnout. Been on AD''s now for 3 years, first sertraline and now fluoxetine for past 2 years. I''ve been happy and stable for more than a year now on 20 mg fluoxetine, had a second baby, and pregnant now with third. At some stage I''d like to get off the AD''s, even though I''m quite happy taking it at the moment as I really have my life back. When should I consider stopping the ADs if I should consider it at all?

A good answer to this question would need a proper in-person re-assessment from the psychiatrist who has been treating you. One could argue that, having remained well for 3 years, despite the hormonal stress of a further pregnancy, without a recurrence of the PND or other depression, suggests you have stabilized and may no longer need to remain on ADs ( though of course you would then need to plan with your shrink for a gradual withdrawal of them ).
After one episode of depression, many people do recover and may remiin well after withdrawal of the meds. After 2 episodes this becomes less likely, and after 3 episodes, most experts would recommend staying on the meds long-term

1