Question
Posted by: Hello | 2011-09-08

AD

In your opinion what would be most effective med for anxiety disorders/panic, i''m social phobe with agoraphobia. An antidepressent or some anti anxiety medications?
Ta much

I wouldn't lay down the law about any one specific med, as much depends on the details of a proper assessment of the individual. But generally, I think experience and evidence suggests that most anxiety disorders including panic disorder, respond best to the drugs also used to treat depression, and to CBT forms of counselling / psychotherapy. Anti-anxiety meds may have the single advantage of producing rapid sedation in an acute crisis, and perhaps in the early days before the ADs start working fully, but in the long run they never "cure" and anxiety disorder, and can too easily produce a degree o depedence that can make it really hard to stop taking them

1