Question
Posted by: Michael Bootes | 2009/11/09

acyclovir

Please can you tell me why acyclovir cream costs about ZAR 40 000.00 per Kg What are the ingedients in the cream that make it so expensive ?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Michael, seeing that this cream is available in treatment packs of 2g and 10g, pricing it per kilo is rather odd. The active ingredient acyclovir will be the detemining factor of the cream itself, but there are also other factors such as manufacturing, Quality control and packaging that determines the cost per tube. Add to this the logistics fee the manufacturer adds to determine the single exit price, the R16 odd rand SEP per generic tube of this cream (incl vat) is not excessive at all.

The generic (based on SEP) will be R8350 per kg (Acitop)
Activir whould makes use of a fancy pump pack (this would be the most expensive part of the product, I reckon) would cost R23 925 per Kg (SEP)

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2009/11/10

Reply to pharmacist