Posted by: S. | 2009-03-04

acute stress, nervousness and depression

I am not sure what is wrong with me I visited a website and did a questionaire the results indicated that I might have an acute stress disorder, I do have all of the symptoms mentioned - for example insomnia, extreme fatigue, skin reactions due to nervousness, I' m jumpy, moody and my life is quite miserable due to this, I' m in my early 20' s and I can' t live like this. I can think rationally, I can act quite normal in public but I do have a serious problem with stress, nervousness and depression. What can I do? Who can I see? How can I be sure - I' m even scared of seeing a specialist regarding my problem.

Dear S
Don't be scared to get help - there are very effective medications for this. Best doctor to see is a psychiatrist but your GP may also be able to help. Avoid benzodiasepines, ask for a "SSRI" rather (like Aropax), it is less addictive and doesn't "space you out"!