Posted by: Tango | 2009-09-10

Acute IBS

Dear Diet Dr

I was diagnosed by a Gastro-enetrologist many years ago and have managed my condition by healthly eating. (I am also Insulin resistant so follow a diet suitable for that) I was under Reg. Dietician for many years and as a Healthcare professional myself, undestand what to eat - and not to eat!! She has unfortunately given up her private prac.

I have however had a serious flare up and for the first time experiencing loose stools. I consulted with my GP who prescribed Librax, an antispasmodic and a probiotic. If the diarrhoea continues I will go for a Gastroscopy/colonoscopy - again.

I would wonder if going on a very plain diet for a while could be useful? You know the white rice and chicken type? As I have to watch my blood sugars can you give me a bit of guidance here please? I am on Glucophage 500mgs BD.

Many thanks.

Dear Tango
The Librax and the probiotic should help a great deal to normalising your bowel movements, so give this treatment a chance to take effect. Because of your insulin resistance some of the foods that are regarded as "bland" will have a high-GI and not be suitable for your condition. I think you should continue eating your standard diet, BUT cut out all spices and condiments, all gas producing foods (the cabbage family, raw onions, garlic), excessive caffeine, carbonated beverages, alcohol if this is applicable, and foods that trigger the diarrhoea. If you are looking for a new dietitian, visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. IBS, which is nowadays believed to have an auto-immune origin, also tends to flare-up when you are under stress. If this should be the case the Librax should help, but you also need to do some relaxing exercises, like deep breathing and/or eliminate what is stressing you (if possible!).
I hope that the Librax and probiotic plus the slightly modified diet will help you to overcome this flare-up.