Posted by: Liezl | 2013-01-26

activities at school for children

Hi! Maybe I am taking this too serious, but my child started gr0 at a very good school this year. My problem is: they have so many activities to choose from: Gymnastics, Tennis, bulletjIe rugby, golf, judo, cricket, music (with little role play), technology(working with equipment), mini maths, pottery and experi kids (where they don''t just tell them that hot air moves up, they build something and show them), and playball. I don''t want my child to take something that will not help him with his education, my in-laws are always comparing the grand kids. Experi kids just sound like something an older child should do. He want to do Judo and then I thought 2 more is enough, I do not want to burn him out before he even started: so I thought gymnastics sounds like a good foundation and then for the third I do not know! Am I taking this too serious? I feel play is more important now than maths, experiments and so forth. Bulletjie rugby they practice Mondays and Wednesdays from 17h30 to 18h30 and Saturdays they are on the field from 8 tot past 12! It sounds too harsh for gr0! Any advise?

SA schools place WAY too much emphasis on sports, and grossly exaggerate the benefitd of taking part. It'd be good for your child to pick ( their own choice is really important ) at least one physical / sporting activity, but not three.
At least one should be artistic / expressive, and pottery sounds apr, or the music. And the third something more intellectual / cerebral " Mini maths fine IF the kid likes maths ( it could give a useful leg-up in maths classes ) or the yechnology or exoeri science thing.
A balanced approach

Posted by: Racoon | 2013-01-29

I can definately recommend Experibuddies, but wait until Grade R. Too little still in Grade 0. Rather do Playball now instead of Bulletjie Rugby, again wait till grade R. I would also suggest pottery as those type of activities build skills at this young age which will later help with math and language.

Btw, I have 3 boys - 7, 4 and 2. So some experience to draw on.

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: Purple | 2013-01-28

Perhaps let him choose two activities per term - one sport and one other. That way he''s not overwhelmed and gets to try all those that interest him, he can repeat the ones he likes .

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Maria | 2013-01-26

Go for pottery, then you have a nice mix of activities. I agree with you that the rugby is excessive and they don''t need serious intellectual activities at this age.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2013-01-26

That is of course if he wants to do pottery!

Reply to Maria