Posted by: Sarah | 2009-07-02

Action tremor

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed as having an action tremor. The literature I can find, seems to suggest that it progresses in much the same manner as parkinsons with the clear difference that it is not a resting tremor. I am 37 years old, and am curious to know a basic time line for the progression. Also, why is so much more attention paid to parkinsons disease when " action tremor"  is aproximately 20 times more common? Is it less debilitating than parkinsons? Thanks

Dear Sarah
"action tremor" is not a diagnosis but a symptom. It is also called an intention tremor. These tremors may result from damage to the cerebellum or its connections. Stroke, multiple sclerosis, tumours, Wilson's disease, alcoholism, and overuse of sedatives or anticonvulsants can cause the cerebellum to malfunction, resulting in an intention tremor. Have you seen a neurologist for further examination?

Posted by: Sarah | 2009-07-03

Hi, yes, I have seen a neurologist. He indicated that there is a strong possibility that it is a familial problem. We ruled out sedatives, anticonvulsants and alcoholism. Blood pressure is normal, so stroke is unlikely. Which leaves me with some of the uglier options - do I need to test for them, or should I just take the Mysoline he prescribed &  go for regular checks?

Reply to Sarah