Question
Posted by: Sasa | 2010-11-04

ACTING POSITION

My manager resigned in April 2009 and the position was vacant until April 2010. I was appointed (in writing) as Acting Manager until the position was filled.The Acting CEO promised me that I will paid an acting allowance as stated in our Acting Policy. On the 1st month I did not receive my allowance ( no explanation). After a week I decided to ask him and he said he made a mistake as our policy is wrong. The following month while I was on leave for 1day, he appointed my colleague to act in the same position for a month and said we have to alternate every month(and therefore not eligible for an acting allowance as our policy states that you have act in a postion for atleast for 6 weeks without interuption in order to qualify for acting allowance). My colleague had been working for the company for 2months when he was appointed into the acting postion and not mention I still continued to do the managerial duties as per the instructions of the Acting CEO which included attending weekly Management meetings, doing strateging plan for submission (presenting) to the Board and making sure we meet the targets stated in the strat plan, etc
This does not seat well I feel cheated. What must I do? I must also add that we have new permanent CEO now, but the acting is still here.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Acting position

Unfortunately an acting position is goverened by the internal rules and regulations of whatever organisation you are working in. There is no right in law for you to demand that it be made permanent. However, if you are still in the acting position and you have not received the allowance then you do have a claim for same.