Question
Posted by: kim | 2008/08/25

acnetane vs tetralysal

Hi, I have a choice of using either Acnetane(generic RoAcc) or Tetralysal 300 to treat my acne. What do you think would be more effective? I know RoAcc is the most popular acne medication around but what do you think of Tetralysal? Does it generally give good results?

Also it says that Tetralysal stops protein synthesis, is this just bacterial protein synthesis that it stops or most protein synthesis( may sound like a dumb question but Im unsure).

Lastly, it is said that Acnetane reduces the size of oil glands that cause acne, surely this would be a better approach to remove acne than to just stop the bacteria that cuases acne(like tetralysal does). What if my acne is not caused by bacteria?Will the Tetralysal still work?

Thank You
Kim

Hi Kim
I usually start with Tetralysal and only if this does not work will I refer a patient to a dermatologist for Acnetane treatment. (Acnetane has more side effects) Tetralysal usually works well, and only stops bacterial proteien synthesis.