Question
Posted by: SOPHIA | 2008/08/04

ACNETANE

Ek gebruik acnetane vir ' n maand lank nou en ek is baie droog in my gesig, ek het sulke wit droe kolle in my gesig en bly droog.' 

Ek wil net weet kan ek nie ' n ander soortgelyke, miskien ' n cream gebruik nie.

Het dit gebruik vir die puisies in my gesig wat nie wou op hou nie.

Ek het ook ' n tekort in my lewer sal dit miskien skade verder doen of nie.' 

As iemand my kan help sal ek dit baie waardeer. dankie

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Sophia, thank you for the question, and my apologies for answering your question in English.

Acetane’s (10 and 20 mg tablets) active ingredient is Isotretinion, a vitamin A derivative, used for the treatment of moderately severe to severe acne.

Very common side effects include dryness of skin, dryness of the lips, dryness of mucosa, e.g. the nasal mucosa leading to nose bleeds (epistaxis), and dryness of the pharyngeal mucosa (hoarseness).
Common side effects include: persistent hair thinning, photosensitivity, photo allergic reactions, and pruritus (itchy spots), facial erythema (redness), dermatitis (skin rash), and skin fragility.
Patients taking Isotretinion may develop raised liver enzymes so blood tests should be performed by your family doctor to monitor the health of your liver.

Typically the skin side effects you mention tend to reduce and even disappear over 2 to 3 months of use. One will need to take this medication for at least 2 months before deciding whether or not it has helped for the acne outbreaks.

Your topical regime is very important in treating acne and this includes using oil free moisturizers and oil free sun protection (more information on the treatment of acne on my web page: www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za and go to the Resource Tab and click Acne and Skin Classification.
The acne treatment guideline on my web page lists a number of treatment options and such as: topical creams together with antibiotics and hormone modulating drugs.
My advice is to go through all of these treatment options before deciding on a course of action and/or discuss the list with your dermatologist, especially if you are unhappy with the Acnetane.