Question
Posted by: giving up on life | 2009-03-23

Acne, Scars, Pigmentation

I have bad acne scars in my face and still get breakouts. I also have pigmentation brown marks underneath my eyes. The pigmentation started the first time when I was on diane and androcur and a a cream with vit A (dont rememebr the name). I have been on diane for years priorwith out pigmentation, problems only got the pigmentaiton after i used the 3 products at the same time. I no longer use any meds, creams as it didnt help and only gave me more side effects that I couldn t handle. Thats not the only meds i have been on. Docters said I am just one of those unlucky women. I have been to a lot of different docters, spesialist in the skin field etc, they ruled out homonal problems. Pigm and scarring is getting worse, even thought I am not using any meds and havent been in the son for years. People aske me if I was hit in the eye. Do you have any advice? I have no confidence left.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi “Giving Up On Life”, thank you for the question.

This is an extremely difficult question to answer over the net as ideally one would like to examine the skin and perform a VISIA skin analysis (computerized skin analysis) to determine the cause and the treatment choices.
There are a number of reasons for pigmentation such as sun exposure (even from our early childhood years), Melasma (not all Melasma is related to hormonal changes), hemosiderin deposits (Iron), hemoglobin (pigment of red blood cells), etc.

Furthermore, as long as the acne is not controlled you will continue to develop scarring and pigmentation. Please log on to my webpage (www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za) and click the Skin & Acne Classification Tab under the Resources Menu (Bottom Left). From there you will be able to visually grade your acne and determine the correct treatment regime.

It is important to also remember the following with acne:
Do not pick or squeeze the acne
Gently wash the face twice daily, do not rub aggressively or use exfoliating scrubs or brushes
Use OIL FREE topical products only including your makeup and sun protection
Avoid the sun as much as possible