Question
Posted by: Alisha | 2012/08/09

Acne scars

Hi Doc,
I have suffered from acne since I was a teenager. I am now 34 and have some scarring not excessive but noticable.
I went to a dermatologist who has put me on a low dose of Accutane for 10 weeks and he prescribed a cream called Ilotycin-a.(but this is causing some dryness and peeling) Is this effective for scarring? I know its good for wrinkles.
I also wonder about skin needling - I dont think the scars are bad enough to warrant lazer treatment.
Pls can you advise what the most effective form of dealing with facial scars is.
Many thanks

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Alisha, thank you for the question.
There are a number of options for treating scars and in particular, acne scarring but the choice is dependent on the depth of the scar and the type of scar. Some scars may seem very mildly depressed but there may be a significant degree of underlying adherence.
Medium and deep chemical peels can improve the appearance of acne scars but both of these options would produce significant downtime.
Needling is a good option but this needs to be performed by a medical doctor specifically trained with the deeper medical needling devices on the market today.
Fractional skin resurfacing has also shown to benefit acne scars and with the latest technology based machines downtime is kept to a minimum (with complete skin healing seen in 3 to 5 days) and one may need between 3 to 6 sessions in total.
With acne scars that are very mild good improvement can be achieved with dermal fillers.
Following the above your best option would be to consult with a dermatologist who has a special interest in cosmetic medicine or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the scars and give you the best treatment approaches for you.

2
Posted by: Busi | 2012/08/22

Hi, I''m 31years old suffering from dark marks on my skin, I''ve tried so many products none of them works. Can you please advice me with the best product to use. My skin is oily and uneven tone.

Reply to Busi
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012/08/14

Hi Alisha, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert