Question
Posted by: angela | 2010/02/18

acne scars

I have an appointment at a laser clinic to see treatments for my facial scars caused by acne. Just want to confirm if lasers have proven to be effective in reducing the appearance of scars (these are now old scars - depressed and ice-pick) and what questions should I ask before proceeding. Can the lasers make the scars worse as only my cheeks are affected. The rest of my face is fine, prices etc.

Could you please shed some light on this?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Angela, thank you for the question.

Fractional ablative lasers have shown to be effective in treating acne scars however this is dependent on the age of the scar, depth of the scar, and type of scarring AND the operator using the technology.

Looking at medical studies adequate clearance and smoothing of acne scarring can be achieved with Fraxel, Lumenis Ultrapulse FX, Sciton, Palomar Starlux, etc.

Another consideration is the relatively new technology Matrix RF which is a fractional bi-polar radiofrequency that has shown to achieve similar results to the lasers mentioned above but with less treatment discomfort (almost minimal), less downtime, and less side effects and complications.

With either of the two options mentioned above (laser or Matrix RF) a number of sessions are required (3 to 6) and should be performed every 4 to 6 weeks to achieve maximum benefit.
The most important questions to ask before commencing treatment are as follows:

Is a doctor performing the treatment?
If so what are his or her training credentials?
How many patients with acne scarring has the doctor treated in the past?
What is the practice’s treatment clearance rate?
Ask for before and after photos

The acne scarring should not be made worse with these treatments however one runs the risk of laser induced pigmentory changes and scarring if the settings are not chosen correctly.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/02/20

Hi Angela, thank you for the question.

Is a doctor performing the treatment?
Ask for before and after photos

Reply to anti-ageing expert