Question
Posted by: Kim | 2008/08/25

Acne medication

Hi, I have a choice of using either Acnetane(generic RoAcc) or Tetralysal 300 to treat my acne. What do you think would be more effective? I know RoAcc is the most popular acne medication around but what do you think of Tetralysal? Does it generally give good results?

Also it says that Tetralysal stops protein synthesis, is this just bacterial protein synthesis that it stops or most protein synthesis( may sound like a dumb question but Im unsure).

Lastly, it is said that Acnetane reduces the size of oil glands that cause acne, surely this would be a better approach to remove acne than to just stop the bacteria that cuases acne(like tetralysal does). What if my acne is not caused by bacteria?Will the Tetralysal still work?

Thank You
Kim

Expert ImagePharmacist

Kim

Which one you use should depend on the type of acne you have and the call should be made by your dermatologist, not you!

Tertralysal is an antibiotic and will only affect bacteria.

Roaccutane is much stronger, but may be excessive if all you need is Tetralysal!

Good luck!