Posted by: No longer a teen! | 2009-06-29

Acne in adulthood

I am 30 and for the past few years have struggled terribly with acne, not little whiteheads, but almost blister-like acne which flares and inflames around my menstrual cycle. It affects my self esteem terribly. I have seen my doctor, the pill does help a little, but not much. He prescribed an ointment which didn' t work.

I was told by someone to try and see a Gynae, but don' t know if I can just call one up or if I need to be referred. (I am sad to say I have never been to see one).

To make it worse, I recently lost my job and have no medical aid, so I don' t know if I can afford to see one for a range of tests which likely cost a lot of money!

My acne is now getting worse, I am even starting to get it on my back and even my cleavage. I don' t really believe my doctor knows what to do with it and frankly don' t need to waste the R280 to see him if he is not the person to see.

Please advise.

f you haved a normal cycle and no other gynae problems, I would suggest that you see a dermatologist rather than a gynaecologist. You may need to use Roaccutane.

I feel your pain! I struggled for years and am at a similar age to you, and only starting to enjoy clear skin! I got Evening Primrose Oil tablets which helped, as well as a topical antibiotic called Zineryt. It works wonders in just a few days. I am no expert, but found my hormonal balance was the reason, so the gynae and blood tests were my best option. All the best!