Posted by: Allie | 2009-06-24

Acne &  Eczema on Scalp

Acne: I have had problems with acne ever since I hit puberty [I am now 19 years old]. My biggest problem is blackheads that just don' t go away, and really painful, deep-set pimples. They aren' t very visible, but extremely painful. I' ve seen a dermatologist, who put me on contraceptive pills, but they didn' t help at all [after about 4 - 5 months of use]. What facial products/medication can I use for this?

Eczema on Scalp: I assumed that I have problems with dandruff at first, and consulted my dermatologist once again, who told me that I actually have eczema on my scalp. She perscribed a number of products that I used for a number of months, but these only aggravated the problem. I' ve read about dandruff treatment, is it possible that the steroid creams/coal-tar shampoo could help for my condition? It' s driving me crazy!

Thank you!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Yes, steroid products and coal tar may indeed be used. There are prescription steroid scalp applications and even a shompoo available (ask your doctor to prescribe one of these), while Linotar is only one of the coal-tar products available OTC from your pharmacy (ask which they keep). Best of luck Allie!