Posted by: Adrianne | 2009-06-23

I' ve never had acne as a teenager, now after having a hysterectomy (cancer related) got one ovary left, acne has started, I do not want to start HRT' s would rather prefer something natural / herbal. What can you recommend? I am 45 years old.

Expert ImagePharmacist

This flaring up of skin problems normally experienced in teenage years can come back during the menopausal years as they are also marked by pronounced hormone imbalance. Hence, by experiencing strong fluctuations in estrogen and progesterone levels, the skin of a woman in this stage can experience menopausal acne.

Keep in mind that, as ugly as you may find her menopause acne, it will probably resolve on its own when your condition stabilizes.

Natural solutions to menopause acne are the same as those recommended to teenagers: good skin hygiene and regular cleaning with an anti-acne soap and healthy living and eating habits. Important:Drink plenty of water daily, keep to a minimum amount of food rich in fat, and exercise regularly.