Question
Posted by: s | 2008/09/17

acidity levels

I train alot and eati a high amount of protein. I am told protein is " acidic"  and that generally most people are " acidic"  because of the amount of " processed"  foods in their diet eg pizza or coke.
Would it help my ph levels if I took a small amount of Citro Soda daily ??? And should we be concerned about the acidity levels in our body ?

Dear S
You are correct that protein foods produce what we call an 'acid residue' in the body. Acid residues are formed by meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, bacon, Brazil and walnuts, all types of bread, cereals, pasta, corn on the cob, cranberries, plums, prunes and plain cakes and cookies. Alkaline residues are formed in the body when we eat all milk and dairy products, almonds, chestnuts, coconut, all types of vegetables (except corn on the cob, lentils), all types of fruit except the ones listed under acid ash. Fats and oils, sugar, honey, maizena, tapioca and coffee and tea are classed as neutral. You can take some CitroSoda, but if you also make sure that you eat milk, dairy products, fruit and vegs then your body should be able to balance out the acid. Don't overdo your protein intake as this could strain your kidneys.