Posted by: Lynda | 2012-10-03

Acid reflux issues

I am currently taking Nexiam (two months now) as I have had acid reflux issues to the point that I had a constant acid cough. The cough has stopped but I still have an irritation on the left side of my throat. My left ear has also started making sounds. Even taking the medication if I eat something that irritates then I have coughing and phlegm issues when I sleep at night and wake up in the morning.

I am not sure what to do. I was told of someone who had acid reflux issues and their doctor sent them for a chest X-ray where upon it was discovered they had a hernia between their esophogas and their stomach (something along these lines) which was causing the acid problems.

Any guidance you can provide is appreciated.

You will have to consult a general surgeon for a gastroscopy. It is possible that you are suffering from a hiatus hernia and in light of your respiratory symptoms, you will most probably need surgery to correct the hernia. Medication can alleviate your symptoms but an operation (if necessary) will change your life.