Question
Posted by: Miep | 2011/04/13

Acid Reflux

I have been diagnosed with quite severe acid reflux. I am a professional musician, and it has actually started damaging my vocal chords. The ENT prescribed Nexiam (20g in the morning), but I have recently discovered something far cheaper - akaline powder.

Can I slowly phase out the Nexiam and swop it with the alkaline powder? I have heard only great things about this " miracle"  powder.... I am not a fan of taking regular pills - I would much rather use natural remedies. Having said that, I also want to look after my health properly and well informed. Can you help?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Miep

I wont advise stopping the Nexiam - The powder may act as an antacid and reduce some of the symptoms, but Nexiam will, in the long run, be the better choice. Reflux may also occur at night when you are lying down, and this is when your Nexiam really comes into play.

2
Posted by: Miep | 2011/04/14

Thanks for the info. Would you say that the Nexiam is a long term solution? Are there other drugs that can " take over"  when the problem is better?

Reply to Miep
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/04/14

Hi Miep

Reply to pharmacist