Question
Posted by: Elic | 2010/01/06

Acid Reflux

My dad is 71 years old and has been smoking from a very young age to about 2 years ago. He has quite a few problems due to his excessive smoking and one of the problems that he cannot seem to control is the acid reflux. He has seen 2 physicians and still no joy.
At the moment, my dad takes 1 Altosec capsule at night, and lives on Gaviscon.
I was wondering if there was any truth to " apple cider vinegar being able to reduce or get rid off acid reflux" ?
My dads reflux problem is really really bad. Sometimes he does not eat as nothing tastes good, and sometimes he cannot sleep due to the constant burning.
I really dont know what else to try.

Hallo Elic
Reflux is caused by the upper valve of the stomach not working correctly, causing stomach acid to run back into the esophagus, so apple cider won't make any difference. They prescribe Altosec because it reduces the acidity of the stomach fluid, and Gaviscon works as it makes a layer on top of the acid, preventing easy flow into the esophagus. At 71 however, one would be hesitant to do an operation to correct the valve.
It may help to raise his bed with about 10 cm on the side of the headboard (putting a flat brick under the feet of the bed on the head's side - not increasing pillows, as you slip down during the night) Diet is very important, small meals more often than big meals three times a day. Ask his doctor about adding something like Maxolon or Motilium.
See http://www.emedicinehealth.com/reflux_disease_gerd/page7_em.htm

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/13

He should take the altosec in the morning to diffuse the acid throughout the day

Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/06

Hallo Elic

Reply to cyberdoc