Posted by: bibs | 2010-08-31

Acid peel

sorry if this was asked b4 but what is your opinionon acid peels, i tried microdermabrasion long ago at beauty salon and it worked nicely esp for pigmentation but i want to try acid peel with a dermatologist? is this safe? i am a coloured in nationality and quite fair skinned, 37 yrs old and have slight pigmentation and also a few adult acne scars which a brown, my forehead also a shade darker than rest of my face so i want to balance this. I also have a shade darker birthmark the size of 2 R5 coins on my neck could i ask the derma to incl this area as well? I just want a smooth one tone skin not diff shades... how many acid peels do you tnink i can have and also can you give me details of a dr to do a proper microdermab not the salon one if this acid peel still does not work for me, i live in JHB

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Bibs, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response but I was away presenting at a medical congress.

My advice would be to consider microdermabrasion again especially if it has worked well for you in the past. If you would like to try the chemical peel route then I would consider the NeoStrata Glycolic acid peel system (proven to be safe on all skin types) with the clarifying booster pads. These will need to be performed over a number of sessions (4 to 6 weeks apart over a 4 to 6 month period). Your best option would be to phone Renew Clinic and confirm that they perform the NeoStrata Peels. Alternatively please log onto the SA Dermatology Society webpage and click the Patients Corner Tab and from there click the Find a Dermatologist which will guide you to a doctor close to you. Please phone the rooms first to find out if they perform the procedure you are looking for.