Posted by: Penny | 2009-01-26

acid and alkaline forming foods

I suffer from aciidity. A while ago I was given a list of acid forming and alkaline forming foods, and found it very helpful. I have since lost the list, and would like to find something similar. Can you help - or direct me?

Dear Penny
Foods that have an acid taste like lemon juice, citrus fruits and strawberries do not actually produce an acid reaction in the body once they are metabolised, in contrast the final product of the metabolism of such foods is alkaline. Acid residues are formed by meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, bacon, Brazil and walnuts, all types of bread, cereals, pasta, corn on the cob, cranberries, plums, prunes and plain cakes and cookies. Alkaline residues are formed in the body when we eat all milk and dairy products, almonds, chestnuts, coconut, all types of fruit (except corn on the cob, lentils), all types of fruit except the ones listed under acid ash. Fats and oils, sugar, honey, maizena, tapioca and coffee and tea are classed as neutral.