Posted by: lesley | 2009-08-28

aching leg

Good Day,
About 4 months ago my left leg suddenly became quite painful (not unbearable). It feels as if I have been kicked on the side of my leg and the bottom of my left buttock, like a bruise. I have had no accidents or falls, I play squash 3 times a week and go to gym during my lunch hour 3 times a week. If I get up off a chair or out of bed, it is more painful than when I am walking around. I does not affect my squash or gym. Any idea of what is causing this pain. Thank You

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Lesley
Sounds as if there is some nerve involvement which can cause referred pain to the areas you mention. If this really bothers you, let a neurosurgeon do some tests. Remember squash is a high impact intensive exercise and in the long run can cause some wear and tear changes in the intervertebral areas. Try and do more lower impact exercise, but have yourself checked out by a doctor to determine the cause of your discomfort.

Posted by: Ann | 2009-09-03

I have really painful hips and also one knee, in some abdominal x-rays done two years ago the " deterioration"  of the hips was noted. What I want to know is, if this continues is surgery the only solution, or is there medication that I could take instead? I am sure that the problem has got worse because of my age (60)

Reply to Ann