Posted by: Zebra | 2009-01-20

Aching knees

I run about 40km a week and get pain in my knees. On the surface you cant feel it but after i' ve been sitting down for a bit longer, when i stand up i feel the discomfort. Going down the stairs aches (not as much going up). I thoroughly enjoy running and would not want to stop. If i am running i also dont feel the pain. Please assist.

Hi Zebra

Could be a few things. There's a condition called "frozen knee" (also movie goer's knee, because it happens when you sit for a long time) where this happens. I suspect it might be some inflammation of the tendon, perhaps caused by muscle weakness, though this is where the guesswork gets particularly intense!

It might be a muscle balance issue, in that your quad muscles are a little weak on one side, causing the knee to fall over to the one side when it's under load. All these things need to be assessed, which is why the only real option to know for sure is to make an appointment with a doctor or a physio and have them look at it. Best is a sports physician, but if they aren't available, then a physio who has some experience in sports is a second option.