Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010-07-14

Aching knee and hip joints

Hi, Ive been suffering lately of bad knee (only the left one) and hip pain. I dont know if the cold has anything to do with it. Im in my early 30''s. I had a broken collar bone 2 years ago and this pain at times of cold or arkward sleeping positions. Any advise on what to do regarding the knee and hip pain. Its usually worse just before I get out of bed as it oftens disturbs my sleep.

Hallo Jane
You may have a nerve pinching in your back, with referred pain to the hip and knee. If you did not have any serious trauma to the hip or knee it is unlikely that the cold is the cause. I think you should see a doctor for examination and possible further tests (x/rays or MRI scan) if needed, especially as this is disturbing your sleep.

4
Posted by: CD again | 2010-07-15

Hi Andile
If you can''t straighten your leg in front of you while sitting on a chair, without getting pain in the back, you probably have nerve pinching in the back. Pain at the back of the knee can also be caused by a Baker''s cyst or problems with the knee cap itself

Reply to CD again
Posted by: Andile | 2010-07-15

Hi Dr Bets

i was refered to by a friend on this site. I think i have the very same problem as Jane, mine is the hip the knee and the mascle just behind my knee, I find it difficult to sleep and i have to use the same possition whole night.

i dont know what to do cause i went to the doc for the test and they told me my hip is fine but did not do my knee. i dont know if i should go have tests again as this is waistin time and most importantly money.

please asdvise?

Andile

Reply to Andile
Posted by: Anon | 2010-07-15

It could be a pinched nerve - try seeing a chiropractor!

Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-07-14

Hallo Jane