Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/09/21

Aching joints

Hi I have been practicing Hatha yoga for 2 years and love it!! i am really flexible and am able to do most poses with ease.
however in the last 2 weeks i have been struugling with bone pain.
in down dog my wrists ache and when on my knees they are terribly painful. Even in relaxation poses while on my back my vertebrate start to ache after a while.

is there something wrong with the way i am doing the poses ot could it be medical? I have suddenly gained 5 kg (medicines ) in about 6 weeks - could this be the cause?

any advice would be greatly appreciated as I love yoga and would hate to stop due to this?

Lee Anne

Hi Lee

I hate to pass the buck, but you probably need to consult a doctor. Yes, the weight gain is a possible cause, because it means you're loading the joints more than usual. As for technique, I honestly have no idea - I am not a yoga instructor and I don't know the poses or the risks associated with them. It's possible you've just overdone it and they're playing up for that reason. It would be strange for the pain to develop now, after 2 years - that suggests to me that it's not technique, unless you're doing new poses now. But I'd see someone about it, and have it properly diagnosed, because the pain is everywhere not in a single joint, and that warrants further investigation.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/28

Hi Lee

Reply to fitnessdoc