Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010-09-21

Aching joints

Hi I have been practicing Hatha yoga for 2 years and love it!! i am really flexible and am able to do most poses with ease.
however in the last 2 weeks i have been struugling with bone pain.
in down dog my wrists ache and when on my knees they are terribly painful. Even in relaxation poses while on my back my vertebrate start to ache after a while.

is there something wrong with the way i am doing the poses ot could it be medical? I have suddenly gained 5 kg (medicines ) in about 6 weeks - could this be the cause?

any advice would be greatly appreciated as I love yoga and would hate to stop due to this?

Lee Anne

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Lee Anne,

I would advise getting a medical check up as it is possible that something else is going on that you have suddenly developed these pains. It could also be the extra weight that is now putting extra load force on your joints. What medicines are you taking as this could also be the cause.

You do not have to stop doing yoga however. Listen to your body and make adjustments to the poses so that no pain is created. If it hurts then it is wrong, if it feels good then it is. Use this experience as an opportunity to explore your body as it is now and listen to what it is saying. Remember advancing in yoga is not being able to attain the most difficult posture known to man, but the degree of awareness one is able to cultivate in each pose. So take the opportunity to develop deeper awareness of your body and what is going on, and try to adjust and act according to your intuition and feeling. Our bodies are not the same from one day to the next and the only way to practice yoga is in the moment, making adjustments and doing poses that feel appropriate for that moment.

2
Posted by: yoga | 2010-09-27

Hi Lee Anne,

Reply to yoga
Posted by: yoga | 2010-09-27

Hi Lee Anne,

Reply to yoga