Posted by: ST | 2008-11-20

achilles tendonitis - nothing helps

I have had achilles tendonitis and plantar faciaitis in one foot for more than 8 mnths. Been prescribed anti-inflammatories, Diclofenac, really strong pain meds, rubs, prednisone, anti-convulsants in case its nerve pain, and have had 4 cortizone injections in the foot (which were excriciating but I was so desperate I actually went back 3 more times after the first!! I also had prosthetic innsoles made. I have iced the foot and soaked it in hot water. I even ended up in a POP for a while. Nothing helps for long. Cortizone injections maybe 7 to 10 days. I am overweight and have an active 2 year old I look after myself, so rest is not an option! Please help - its driving me insane.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear ST

Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis are both common and complicated complaints which require a lot of work on your part to fix. It sounds like you have tried pretty much everything already. Addressing the weight issue is important as well as stretching exercises for the calf muscles. I understand that with a young child you can't rest but both of these conditions require rest to resolve. There is no quick fix for these problems, I suggest you find a good physio you can work with you to get on top of this.