Question
Posted by: Darine | 2009-02-24

Aches and pains due to exercise

I suffer from aches and pains after cardio - 20 mins brisk walking, and 10 minutes cycling or stepping. Not sure why, but it stops me from getting back into the gym, sometimes the pain is so uncomfortable I cannot sleep well. What medication can i take for this and why does this happen. I only go to gym 1 time or less per week on average. I want to go more often though

Hi Darine

Not sure how long you've had this? Or if it happens when you've been training for two or three weeks consistently. Part of the problem is that you're training too inconsistently. If you can just overcome this initial barrier, I suspect that those aches and pains will go away. But I think you're probably training too hard on the first day, and then hurting too badly, resting and then doing this over and over. Rather back off, training at 50% of your current level, and then you should find that you can put together two weeks where you train maybe 6 times. That's a start, and I really do think that you'll have no problems after this.

It is normal, incidentally to have sore and aching muscles. But it goes away, only if you continue and get beyond that initial barrier.

3
Posted by: Mik | 2009-03-05

You may need to up your salt intake, depending how much you already ingest. I dont add salt to any of my food and the doc said I should add a bit to heko with muscle cramps,although that was while I was exercising.
Also, if you take a calcium and magneisum supplement at night it help to relax and replenish your muscles.
A lot depends on your diet/the food you eat aswell as the actualy exercise.

Reply to Mik
Posted by: Darine | 2009-03-02

Thank you Fitnessdoc - I will try this and let you know how it works out!

Reply to Darine
Posted by: Nazgul | 2009-02-25

Stop looking for excuses not going to gym! If you go for 4 or more days, the pain will go away!

Reply to Nazgul