Question
Posted by: Bella | 2009-05-05

Aches and Pains

I am 48yrs old and weigh 90kg. For the past two months I have been walking 40min, 6 days a week. My problem is that I cannot get up without stopping mid way due to leg aches and pains (l feel like a old person)
Have heard that too much uric acid in the body may be a cause. I tend to retain water and therefore take a duritic daily. Is there a way I can test my acid levers my self.
By the way I make a point of drinking at least 2L of water a day
Any advice

Hi bella

Not sure I follow entirely - when you say "getting up" are you referring to the day after you walk? Getting out of bed, that is?

I'm not 100% sure what the cause might be. I highly doubt it's the levels of uric acid though. There's certainly never been evidence that stiff or sore muscles are caused by acid.

I suspect it might be a normal response to exercise, but that you're training too hard and that's the cause. We know that when people start, muscle aches and pains are normal, but considering it's been 2 months, I'm not sure that's the cause. However, it's most likely, and I still think you might be going a little too hard and if you either slowed down, or took a day of rest in between, the problems might disappear.

I'd try that first, before anything else

Ross