Question
Posted by: Marelize | 2010/03/08

Accidents at night.

Hi, my 2 Jack Russels (6 years old) are house trained, but recently one of them started having accidents in the house at night. I wish I knew which one it was. I take them out before I go to bed at night and they (one specifically)wakes me up to go out when she needs to go out. Could they/ one of them have a UTI or is this just bad behaviour? They used to have the odd accident after I have been away from home for a few nights, but for the past 2 months I haven''t travelled at all. It''s dreadfull to step into an accident while still half asleep!. Please don''t tell me to let them sleep outside!. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Dear Marelize

Rule out crystals/UTI first before you try all sorts of things.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/03/09

Dear Marelize

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/03/08

If one of the dogs wakes you up to go outside, then it seems to indicate it''s the other one with the problem.

I''ve had a dog who occasionally developed this habit - if there were no consequences, he''d simply have continued. Obviously you can''t punish the dog after the fact, but I found that a stern lecture worked wonders, and he''d behave himself for months on end, until the lecture wore off.

You could also experiment with different feeding times, so that the time they need to ''go'' is moved along.

Naturally, there''s also a possibility that there is something medically wrong, but I''d venture a guess that this would be unlikely, in the absence of any other symptoms. But if it makes you feel better, get it checked out. (Don''t forget your wallet at home!)

Reply to Chill