Question
Posted by: BEW | 2013-02-05

Abuse

Hi. Please could you try explain to me why it is that it is so hard to accept as an adult that you were emotionally and physically abused as a child. Have been told i was abused by professionals, and it does ring true. But yet when the realised fact hit me over the head yesterday my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest and my body felt like I was going to collapse.

I dont need to feel that way, i need to be strong. Now all i want to do is run away from that thought, like i have been doing all along.

It is gross malpractice for anyone claiming to be a health professional to ever tell a patient that they WERE abused as a child, if the person did not come to them in the first place specifically complaining of abuse which they clearly recalled.
It is hogwash. There are a group of nutty psychologists and others, mainly in the States, who developed totally unscientific and never proven theories that enormous numbers of people were terribly abused, and somehow totally forgot that this had happened ( his is astonishingly rare if in fact it ever happens ) amd they believed that these "Repressed Memories" ( a concept not accepted by any respectable scientific psychiatric organization ) always left very clear and unambiguous signs in a person's symptoms, which they themselves were clever enough to identify, and which they interpreted as meaning that the person must have been abused even if they denied it.
This is grotesque nonsense. Abuse, whether sexual, physical or emotional leaves NO characteristic signs in later life. Some people seem to suffer no ill effects, others do indeed show a range of problems which are not unique to survivors of abuse. The diagnostic systems and "signs" these people use are nonsense, and don't stand up to scientific scrutiny.
Occasionally someone who has experienced very major trauma ( torture, warfare, concentration camps ) may forget SOME of the details ; NOBODY forgets that it happened to them, and none of the real victims need to be reminded by a greedy amateur shrink.
To tell a basically well person that they HAVE been abused, contrary to their own recollections, is malpractice and damaging an should never be accepted.
It is probably both very distressing for you and hard to accept because it very probably did NOT happen. I suggest that you se a properly qualified psychiatrist with long experience, and NOT someone with a bee in their bonnet about child abuse, for a calm assessment of the situation, and help with recovering from the damage caused by what these "professionals" told you in error.
Only if a neutral and truly expert psychiatrist or psychologistg confirms that there was significant prior abuse, should you consider this possibility seriously. Do NOT under any circumstances accept any therapy of any form from the "professionals" who told you this

1
Posted by: poposh | 2013-02-05

hi cybershrink

i thank u so mach n appreciate a quick respond to our questions keep up a good work some of other people take 2 or 3 weeks before they respond to our questions may God be with u and ur family.....

Reply to poposh