Question
Posted by: Tiekie | 2012/05/16

Absence Epilepsy Migraine

My 4 year old was diagnosed with Absence Epilepsy a year ago. She has been suffering from migraines ever since, so bad that she usually ends up in hospital to combat dehydration from the continuous vomiting associated with it. She is on Epillim and this seems to help. What worries me is the fact that we have to increase the dosage every 6 months or she has an attack. I have read that she will outgrow the epilepsy, but what does that mean for the migraines? Will that stop as well, and how and when do we know that it is save to stop the Epilim?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Tiekie,

Only the neurologist that is treating your daughter can decide when and if she can stop the epilim. As far as the migraines are concerned, if she still gets them if and when she outgrows the epilepsy, that would be the time to assess her for possible treatment options.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012/05/17

Dear Tiekie,

Reply to Headache expert