Posted by: Lamb | 2013-02-13

Abscesses on lambs leg

Good day. I just need some advice as how to treat an abscess on a lamb''s leg. It is not the usual one that makes a lump and pops on it''s own. This one covers the leg from above the hock to just below the hock joint. It is swollen and warm to the touch and looks like a pouch of water that is accumulated there. The puss is watery. I have opened it and clean it twice a day with salt water and express some of the puss out. I then badage it loosely to keep files away and to keep dirt out. I also spray some wound spary on it. Is there anything I can squirt into the wound or anything else I can do to speed up recovery? Maybe some Pentrep?

Foot abscess is a serious disease of sheep. Its effect on welfare and productivity can equal virulent footrot in severity. Foot abscess is more common in good seasons, in higher rainfall areas when conditions are also favourable for the development of footrot. Moving sheep to drier paddocks is important; avoid using muddy yards and laneways as this will make the disease worse. Controlling superficial skin bacterial loads can be achieved with foot bathing sheep in 10% zinc sulphate as they leave the muddy yards.

Another option would be to flush with diluted Dettol/Savlon, usually diluted with 4 parts water. Lastly, we need to consider the rare potential of a toe abscess, in which case you may need to do some additional hoof paring. Good luck!