Question
Posted by: Carol | 2009-07-06

ABSCESS

Dear Doc
I continually get abscesses in my groin area which are extremely painful. I have had a number cut out but as I dont have medical aid at present, I cannot afford it. I go onto antibiotics, it subsides, but never really goes away as I can feel " lumps"  int he groin area still. In the past 4 weeks, I have had another 2 - the last one finally burst which brought much relieve. What could possibly be the cause of them and what can I do to avoid them?

Dear Carol
They maybe need to take a swab when this happens again to see what kind of bacteria is causing it. If it is staph aureus, it may help to wash with antiseptic soap like Hibiscrub and also put bactroban ointment in the nose ( all people carry staph aureus but in some people the concentration on the skin increases above normal and then it causes infection) It may then also help to use a long (4-6 weeks) course of something like Bactrim to reduce the bacterial load. The lumps may be blocked sebaceous glands that may need removal as they will cause repeated infections.