Posted by: Sandy | 2009-05-14

Dear Doc
A few months ago I felt a pimple on my labia. It grew into what looked like an enlarged pimple, turned red, felt hot and was very painful. After a few days it began to disappear but left a very small painless pimple behind. Two months later the same procedure recurred and now its gone again. The pimple has never popped, but just reduces in size. I bathe with anti-bacterial soaps(Protex) twice a day. I am embarassed, please advise.

Dear Sandy
This is a Bartholin gland that gets infected - if it happens again, and it makes a yellow point, try and pop it with a sterile needle or start using Bactroban antibiotic ointment as soon as it starts getting red and sore again. Sometimes it needs to be drained by a doctor. It is quite common - due to friction of pants etc.