Question
Posted by: Nikita | 2011/06/08

Abortion Pill

I''m 4 weeks pregnant and not in any position to have a child.
I know some of you might say that i should''ve thought about this before, but i prefer not to disclose the position i''m in at the moment. It is just impossible for me to raise a child.

I don''t think i''ll be able to deal with having a procedure done.

I need to know if the Abortion Pill is available in South Africa, johannesburg to be exact. Will it be a problem for My Gynae to get it for me? How much will it cost.

Really desperate

Yes it is available through a gynaecologist. The cost of the pill is not the issue. The abortion procedure will have to be supervised by the gynaecologist and will include consultations and probably a D&C.

11
Posted by: Nikita | 2011/06/17

Thank you ladies.

I have an appointment with my gynae on the 23rd of this month.

Will take it from there.

Reply to Nikita
Posted by: Open minded | 2011/06/15

I got the pill from Marie Stopes Clinic. It cost R750.00 and did what it was supposed to do. There was pain, but it is not unbearable. One pro is that you get to do it in the comfort of your own home. They give you pain killers to take as well. I bled for about 5 days and was back to normal.

PS : Haters, we live in a free country where abortion is a LEGAL procedure. Stop judging. You will never know what other people are facing in life so STOP IT!

Reply to Open minded
Posted by: Anonymous | 2011/06/13

I was in labour for 15 hours after taking Cytotec at 14 weeks of pregnancy. Yes, it WAS painful, but raising a baby born of a rape experience would have been a million times MORE PAINFUL psychologically. Fortunately, I suffered no complications whatsoever and was back at work the next day.

Posted by: Sam | 2011/06/09

It will also depend on your gynae and DR-some have issues to prescribe it due to ethical issues but by law they then have to refer you to somewhere else. Also remember-that if you use the abortion pill on your own, alone, some of the " product"  may remain behind causing severe infection-by the time you have any symptoms, you will be seriously ill already.
Go and see your local clinic for a referral to a government hospital where they should do it for free if a private abortion clinic is not an option.
you will have to wait for an appointment though which can be anything up to another 8 weeks as abortions can be legally done in SA up to 12weeks

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Glen | 2011/06/09

Have you considered adoption?

Reply to Glen
Posted by: Jo | 2011/06/08

I had the procedure, at the Marie Stopes Clinic, I was offered the Pill but they advised I should rather have the procedure, it was not under sedation, so it was terribly terribly painful. If you can afford it, either go to GP and get referred or something, or Marie Stopes do offer the procedure under sedation at about R3500, without is R1400...but is sore! its not something I wish upon anyone.

P.S. I am so sick and tired of these people who pass judgement on this website, if you don''t like what you see, then just don''t read it. Who do you think you are to make other people feel that they are below you! Its a choice, we are all entitled to our own!

Reply to Jo
Posted by: Allison | 2011/06/08

I''ve been using nur-istrate for the past 6 yrs without having problems & periods, I want to have another baby now.. What can I use to have my periods again. Before trying to have a baby?

Reply to Allison
Posted by: PS | 2011/06/08

I too took the abortion pill last year, but NOBODY warned me that I would experience full blown labour pains for over 12 hours. It was so bad that they took me to hospital to monitor my pain, as I was passing out as my body was in shock.
I don''t say this to scare you, just to inform you. When you take the pill your body forces it ut through contracations, and it''s eina. It would be best, I think, to go for the procedure, it is quick and painless albeit more invasive.
Good Luck

Reply to PS
Posted by: Attie | 2011/06/08

You should have used protection in the first place. Now you wan''t to abort? Did you speak to your partner?

Reply to Attie