Posted by: haamidah | 2010-05-30

Abnorn cells while preg

Hi. I am 23 weeks pregnant. I have had recurring bladder infection and trush since conception. 4 times in the last 5 months. When I was 14 months i started bleeding. I was rushed to hospital but fortunately my cervics were intact. I didnt have any symptoms of infection at the time. My urine was clear, I had no discharge, nothing. The only problem i had at the time was severe constipation.Although a week after this I started having a really smelly discharge. And was treated for it at the hospital. At the hospital the docter checked for infection and told me that he couldnt say why I was bleeding. But because the baby seemed fine he said i could go home and wait it out. I had to stay in bed and have no sex. He did however do a pap smear and the results only came back last week.
They discovered abnormal cells. I must go in next month for a Colposcopy. Could you please tell me what this is, how the procedure works, will it have a negative effect on my baby and what the possible outcome will be? They did however say that its not cancer so what else could it be? I am really worried. This is my third pregnancy and I didnt have any serious problems with the other two. The first was uneventfull and with the second my water broke at 27 weeks. I was hospitilised with pprom and induced at 34 weeks. During my hospital stay i wasnt sick at all. I have had 3 pap smears in 14 years and the previous 2 was clear. So this is really scary for me, especially since im pregnant.

A colposcopy is just looking at the cervix through a special microscope and will not affect the pregnancy. They are trying to exclude pre-cancerous cells.