Question
Posted by: Jessica | 2008/09/09

Abnormal Cell in cervix- Cervical cancer

Hi- My doc has come across abnormal cells on my cervix.
I now have to have them laser removed. What causes this?
Will not going for the removal turn into cervical cancer?
What are the main causes of cervical cancer?
Is cervical cancer a form of sexually transmitted disease???
Is it hereditery?

HPV is a common cause of abnormal cervical cells. If not removed they can become cancerous. HPV is sexually transmitted and therefore cervical cancer can be considered so as well. It is not heriditary.

1
Posted by: Jooles | 2008/09/10

Hi - I had this a few years ago. When I went for my normal checkup, my pap smear results detected abnormal cells in my cervix. My doc said that it was probably an infection and that I should come back in a few months time to check. Well when I went back it was still there and he decided to remove it via laser treatment. It' s a painless one day procedure, really nothing to worry about. Good luck.

Reply to Jooles