Question
Posted by: anxious | 2008/06/20

ABDOMONAL PAIN

Given that I have an IBS problem and recently had very bad constipation (which does seem better at the moment) is there any possibility I have an inflammed colon problem, having had the following symptoms?

Over the last 7-10 days I have had on/off bouts of bad nausea and then was going to the loo a million times during the day. I didnt pay much attention to this, but then Wed evening I got this really bad abdominal pain out of the blue (it was across the whole of my front area - left to right) - then it went away (I didnt take anything for it). That then worried me about possibly being my kidney infection so I phoned my urologist's rooms yest am (my gp is away and only back on 23/6) to ask to hand in a urine MC&S - he gave me a Stemetil script yest and phoned my at lunch time today saying my urine was absolutely fine - my slight concern is he said it sounds like a stomach/colon problem. I didnt get round to asking him why he particularly mentioned colon and when I thought of phoning him back to ask him he seemed to have gone back to theatre - his phone was on the answering machine. I figured this am that part of the reason for my nausea could be because I never ate yest or last night so I ate this morning (ok so maybe the egg wasnt such a good idea, but then I hadnt had vomiting apart from 1 bout yest early pm, wihch wasnt excessively bad!) I had scrambled egg and a croissant and was violently ill straight afterwards! I took Stemetil about 1/2 hr afterwards (10:30 am) and have been fine at the moment. My question is do I just have a stomach bug (I have heard there are a lot of people with this at the moment) and do I need to take anything else other than the Stemetil for it if this is what I have or do I need to worry about a possible colon problem as my urologist said and mention it to my gp when he is back on Mon? I haven't had that severe abdomonial pain since Wed - I did get a bit of pain yest but nothing like Wed and this was on the front right side. Do I need to worry at all?

Thanks for the help.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

You should consider consulting a gastroenterologist to have a colonoscopy done, to exclude any possible colon pathology. It is possible that you just had a severe stomach bug that will clear soon but to put your mind at ease, you should go for the colonoscopy.

Kind regards