Posted by: Sally | 2009-05-09

Abdominal/bowel issue

My niece has not had a bowel movement in 2 weeks, she is not pregnant and is eating 3 meals a day high fiber - her abdomen is soft but distended and she feels nauseous. She has seen doctors and they prescribed meds to ensure bowel motions which do not work to date and have now told my sister thatthey will admit her daughter and run tests if she vomits bile and not before then as there is nothing wrong with her if she is not vomiting bile? What can cuase such severe constipation and abdominal bloating"  and what can be taken that will ensure she has bowel motions? Very frustrtaing not getting any help from the doctors and the child is in pain and ill and miserable, she is 21 years of age. Can you help or have any suggestions?

What tests have been done to date? Please also be so kind as to elaborate on your request, i.e. what medication was prescribed, is she currently still taking any medication etc.?

She can however, try a fleet enema and oral lactolose, which is available over the counter.