Question
Posted by: andy | 2010/10/05

Abdominal ultrasound

Hi Doc,
I had a abdominal/pelvic ultrasound done by a diagnostic radiologist on the 22Sept. Below is what the results said.

A bulky uterus is noted. The uterus measures 62.1x37.9mm in size.
There is an area of increased density in the posterior third of the uterus, measuring 38.2x17.6mm. This may be associated with an intramural fibroid.
A Duplex ovarian cyst is noted arising from the right ovary, measuring 49.5x21.7mm in maximum size.
A prominent left ovary is noted. No free pelvic fluid is present.

I went to a gynae on the 23Sept and he said its no reason for concern as the cysts sometimes pop on its own and the fibroid is small so he wouldn''t worry about it. He said I should come back in a months time to see what happened in the month.

Can you please give me your input as to the results above and what will the gynae do if he cysts are still there after a month.

Andy

I agree with your gynaecologist. Small fibroids are not a problem if they are asymptomatic. If the cyst persists, you may be put on hormonal treatment to shrink it, such as the Pill.

1