Question
Posted by: Pam Immelman | 2010/09/08

Abdominal pains - right side and naval area

• I am a 61 year old female (I consider myself to be generally healthy) with healthy eating and exercising habits. I have had the following symptons and pains over the past month or two –  Bloated, but better since cutting out bread, constipation, alleviated by taking natural laxatives once a week. Waves of nausea comes and goes but not continuously. Have been feeling feverish lately, but also comes and goes.
• Dull Pain around navel area, lately also on right side, close to the groin, but becoming worse lately
• This past week, feel sore (like a pulling) in my lower abdomen in bladder area, right side and sometimes around naval area when walking, sometimes sharp shooting pains in my side through to my back.
• Slight to severe bladderinfection detected over the past month, was prescribed antibiotics - Ciprobal &  Tavnic (500g) &  Zeph ... (500g)
•  Visit to gine on 30 July - No problems of bladder, uterus or ovaries detected on sonar. Papsmear test results normal
• Referred to gastro-enterologis for C-scope on 23 August, which showed normal
30th Aug
I went back to the GP, who tested my urine and said I had a bad bladder infection, just finished another lot of antibiotics. I have a full feeling when urinating but no burning or frequent urge to urinate. He also took blood tests for anemia, infections, tumors, cancerous sells which all came back normal.
He has given me a letter for another gastroenterologist, but I have not booked yet to go to him because he is on holiday for 2 weeks.
My concerns are that my problem is appendicitis but no one can confirm it, and the odour I get from by body (not from my urine) tells me something is wrong! GP says blood tests would show up if I had appendicitis. Please help, my condition is debilitating and I am having problems concentrating at work!

Hallo Pam
Usually when you have appendicitis, your white blood cell count will be high. It may however be chronic low grade appendicitis, or even gallstones with gall bladder inflammation. I would also do a sonar of the kidney on that side to exclude kidney disease with your history of recurring UTI's. Your colon should also be examined if no other cause for the pain could be found, preferably with a colonoscopy under anaesthetic. If you feel that you can't wait for the GE, ask your Doctor to identify another one in your area that can help you quicker.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/08

Hallo Pam